The Council for Exceptional Children (CEC) is a professional association of educators dedicated to advancing the success of children with exceptionalities. We accomplish our mission through advocacy, standards, and professional development.
Our Core Values
- Visionary Thinking: Demonstrated by forward-thinking and courageous decision making dedicated to excellence and influence in an evolving environment
- Integrity: Demonstrated by ethical, responsive behavior, transparency, and accountability
- Inclusiveness: Demonstrated by a commitment to diversity, caring, and respect for the dignity and worth of all individuals
Florida CEC Member Benefits
Join the Council for Exceptional Children (CEC), and share in the richness of the CEC experience. Get the training, resources, and peer-to-peer support you need to meet today's new challenges in special education with confidence and greater competence and make a difference for exceptional children. Florida CEC maintains an approved and updated set of Bylaws, Policies and Procedures and you can download and read the most recent version adopted by the FCEC's board in 2021.
As an FCEC member, you'll have access to the following:
- CEC Publications
Stay on the cutting edge with the high-impact, up-to-the-minute information you receive from CEC's member publications:
- TEACHING Exceptional Children - actionable and useful articles to teach and administer programs for children with disabilities and/or who are gifted (6 issues per year).
- Exceptional Children - original research on the education and development of children with exceptionalities in practical terms that you can bring into your classroom (4 issues per year).
- CEC Today - member newsletter keeps you up-to-date on professional and legal developments (5 issues per year, online).
- Books, Media and Training
CEC's articles, books, videos, and CD ROMS cover the entire agenda of social, legal and educational issues of children with exceptionalities. Our resource catalog is crammed with resources and materials specifically for special educators.
- Career Development
CEC's continuing education programs, including the CEC Annual Convention and Expo, provide groundbreaking information, state-of-the-art resources, and new ways of reaching students. CEC also provides you with essential training programs, materials, planning, and continuing education opportunities.
- Advocacy and Support
CEC members are an integral part of CEC's advocacy efforts for the rights of children and youth with exceptionalities, as well as the special needs of the educators who serve them. CEC is a major voice in Congress, the courts, and the U.S. Department of Education. CEC has launched a comprehensive program to make the educational community and the public aware of teacher shortages and special education teaching conditions. No other organization is more active - or more effective.
- Professional Divisions
Join one or more of the 17 CEC special interest divisions, allowing you to tailor your participation to your particular area(s) of expertise. Each division publishes journals and newsletters, sponsors conferences and other professional development activities, facilitates political action on issues that directly affect your practice and interests, and provides unique networking opportunities to bring you closer with experts and your professional peers.
- Peer Networking and Leadership Opportunities
CEC's 17 special-interest divisions, 59 state/provincial units and hundreds of local chapters make you part of the most extensive network of professional special educators in existence today. CEC provides a wide range of opportunities for members to serve in leadership positions at the local, state/provincial, and international level.
- Up-to-the-Minute Access via the Web
At the CEC Web site you'll get the latest updates, on news in special education, participate in CEC's listserves, join or renew CEC membership, register for professional development events, and order books and other quality resources online.
- Discounts on Educational Resources
CEC members enjoy savings of up to 30% on all CEC publications and professional development events including the CEC Annual Convention & Expo.
- Career Connections
Register your resume, view special education job postings, and access a list of recruiters - all on Career Connections, the only job bank on the Internet devoted exclusively to special education professionals.
- Student members preparing for employment and performing educational duties under the supervision of a licensed educator can purchase an individual $1 million policy for an annual premium of only $15. The policy is the same as that offered to professional members, but does not include job protection benefits. Apply now!
New! CEC members are eligible for favorable group pricing on term life, home & auto, and professional liability insurance plans from leading insurance carriers through the CEC Member Insurance Program. See complete details and apply online, or call 1-800-821-7303.
- Rental Car Discounts
Valuable benefits on car rental from Hertz including a one-car-class upgrade and discounts on weekly or weekend rentals.
- Retirement Planning
The Variable Annuity Life Insurance Company (VALIC) offers CEC members a comprehensive package of retirement planning products and services including fixed and variable investment options, state-of-the-art administration of retirement plans, and expert account assistance.
Need More Information?
For additional information on the member benefits listed above, contact CEC's Constituent Services Center at (888) 232-7733, TTY (866) 915-5000, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Representatives are available to take your call Monday through Friday from 9 am to 5:00 pm Eastern Time.